Events

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

No. 91. Reflective Lemons




Yes, yes, yes...more bloody lemons. In fact they're the same lemons, this time painted alla prima. I bought the jug in a charity shop in Rathmines. I was looking for silver, rather than steel as silver has a warmer reflective value. Recently, I've been painting on boards that I've gessoed myself, with LeFrank & Bourgeois gesso. I like the flat feel -the oils glide on and I don't miss the tooth of the canvas panels at all. Anyway, at this size the tooth seems unnecessary. What's more is that I get a superior panel for a fraction of the cost of buying them. Result! Artist Richard Hearns got me on to this. He gave a few to me to try out -so, thanks, Richard.

I must say, it's very satisfying to paint a reflective object. There's always a while during the painting that it seems as if it just isn't going to work. Then -almost in the space of a few brush-strokes - it comes together. So; the watchword is perseverence.

Painted on 7" x 5" panel. Costs €190 including frame [postage, packing included for customers in Ireland]



No comments: