Events

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

No. 90. Renaissance Lemons



The lemons aren't from the Renaissance, obviously. I was trying out the old masters' method of painting. I painted out the composition in monochrome and the applied glazes of colour over the picture. Rather like old tinted photographs, I suppose. I used a lot of Liquin, instead of thinning the paint with an oils medium (I have no patience, you see).

I quite like this method, as it's difficult to go wrong - there's less of a chance to get confused between colour and tone, which can happen using the alla prima method. The entire composition is finished and ready before laying in colour. On the down side, paintings can look stilted and formal; lacking in that freedom and expression that comes with applying the paint and sculpting into position.

Painted on 6" x 5" panel. Costs €190 including frame [postage, packing included for customers in Ireland]