Events

Friday, December 05, 2008

No. 56. Oriental Bowl & Spoon


SOLD

This was done at least a week ago but I forgot to post it.

I had last evening to myself, so instead of vegetating in front of the telly, I brought up this little ensemble from my studio and plonked it down on the patterned oilcloth that covers our kitchen table. My spotlight, I hung from a chair that I placed on the table and I used Royal Talens H2O oils [they're soluble in water so they don't fume up the house]. Once again, I had to work my tonal values back from the intense highlights. I thought the pattern on the background may cause some trouble but in the end worked well. It gives a nice warmth to the composition. The only problem with late painting for me is that I come alive at about bedtime, so it took an hour of telly to get back the soporific effect, which is what I was trying to avoid in the first place. Perhaps some opium might do the trick...

1 comment:

Connie Kleinjans said...

This is wonderful! Love the warm/cool colors. And my eyes keep going back to the translucent holes in the bowl.