Events

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

No. 34a. Techniques all Going Pear-shaped

I might have to change the name of this blog. Acrylics are in!

I was talking with an artist friend about techniques in painting. He paints but is very influenced by his main love which is ceramics -all those glazes and textures that can be fired onto a ceramic item. We got into a long discussion in the pub over a couple of beers, and I was very taken with the notion of this way of working. So, when I got home this evening from a long meeting, seeing there was no time to do a formal set up, I got out the acrylics, a pot of acrylic varnish and a tin of Ronseal 'walnut' tinted quick-drying varnish. What I was aiming for was to keep this as a still life, but work on it in an abstract way. This piece started out very bright, with bold colours but after a couple of applications of the varnish over not-yet-dried clear acrylic varnish, I arrived at this autumnal finish. The craquelure effect which was achieved by experimenting, only adds to the composition, I think, don't you?

Acrylics Still Life Study on paper. 7" x 5". Buy this art.

No comments: